Early years foundation stage
Choochoos provides outstanding care and education for our children and families. It is vital that we provide a safe, secure and stimulating environment with challenging and exciting experiences for our children. This will support them to grow into happy, confident learners.
To enable us to provide this care and education we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance, 2017, also known as the ‘EYFS’. This is compulsory framework created by the government that early years providers are required to follow.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), is how the government and early years professionals describe the time in your child’s life between birth and age 5. This is a very important stage, as it helps your child get ready for school as well as preparing them for their future learning and successes. From when your child is born up until the age of 5, their early years experiences should be happy, active, exciting, fun, secure and support their development, care and learning needs.
“Every child deserves the best possible start in life and support that enables them to fulfil their potential. A secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right’, EYFS, 2017.
What is the early years foundation stage?
- The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), provides guidance for professionals, parents, carers and families to help support every child’s learning and development.
- Included within the EYFS are a child’s developmental milestones from birth to 5 years.
- As practitioners we are guided to provide opportunities for our children to progress and develop, during their time at Choochoos and within their home life.
- The EYFS provides information on what a child is learning, what adults can do and what adults can provide.
- This working document is a requirement and underpins our working practices, environment and ethos at Choochoos.
- Schools continue to use the EYFS to monitor progress until the end of a child’s reception year.
What does this mean for parents, carers and families?
- You can access the EYFS Parent Guide, to support your child at home with their progress and development as they grow.
- You can keep Choochoos updated with your child’s progress and interests at home by sharing written observations and photographs with us. You can upload these on to your child’s eyLog (Our online learning journey) instantly, on the app!
- We provide termly meetings for you to attend with your child’s key person. These are to celebrate your child’s progress and development, review next steps and to help set new challenges for your child at Choochoos and home.
- Work with Choochoos to ensure your child has the best possible start in life!
For further information, ask any of our highly qualified practitioners.