A child who has a on top schema likes to climb on top of objects and furniture. This includes being the highest in the environment.
A child who has an on top schema may:
- Climb on top of furniture and items that maybe they shouldn’t.
- Try to climb on top of anything, even if not safe to reach the highest point.
- Likes to be above ground level.
- Puts items on top of other items.
If a child shows they may have an on top schema parents/carers may like to provide:
- Safe climbing equipment inside and outside.
- Go for walks or visits to the park to develop this on top schema, but using larger equipment for climbing.
- Allow children to access steps safely.
- Provide something safe for children to be higher on.